Torn over buying a macro lens (AF Nikkor 200/f;4)

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Bobby2Shots OP Regular Member • Posts: 301
Re: I have one and use it all the time.

kramp wrote:

It's a great lens, heavy though I just use it with a tripod these days but when I was younger I would hand hold it with flash but shorter macro's are better for that,

It's not all about the working distance, the angle of view is great for giving smooth backgrounds.

The working distance or magnification can be increased with a teleconverter, kenko pro 300 works well with it. The Nikon 6T will take you up to 2:1 and I stack 28mm on the front for 6:1.

I didn't start out macro with it though, I started with a 6T on my 70-300, extension tubes and teleconverters. A Tamron 90 was my first macro lens, I also used a reversed 28mm on camera for higher magnifications so it is a lens I worked up to as I learned macro.

The things I like about the lens is the working distance, the narrow angle of view, it has a tripod foot, its great to be able to rotate the lens and body when working on a tripod, focus ring is really nice, solidly built.

What I don't like about it, autofocus is slowwww so if you want to use it as 200mm normal lens which you can but expect to wait and wait for a focus lock, it's heavy because it's built solid and big.

Get the lens hood for it also.

I use it on my GH1 also, gets me a lot closer than my full frame bodies.

There's truly something special about the rendering of the 200/f;4. Nice work Martin,,,, I'm smitten, and it's simply a matter of time before I take the plunge. I've gotta save my pennies.

Bobby2Shots's gear list:Bobby2Shots's gear list
Canon PowerShot A620 Sony RX100 III Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Nikon D810 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow