Do I really need a Lexar thunderbolt hub?

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 3,485
Re: Do I really need a Lexar thunderbolt hub?

Batdude wrote:

scokill wrote:

Batdude wrote:

Ferguson wrote:

I've got the XDQ reader without the hub, just the USB3 version that is SO much cheaper, and it works great. I come home with about 1500 frequently, someones more, and start it going while I wash up and put the camera batteries on charge, and it is almost always done before I am ready to sit down.

I'm sorry, do you only use a XQD reader or do you use XQD cards with the reader?

Or are you saying that you only use a XQD reader and that alone speeds it up??

The reason why i ask is because XQD cards are NOT cheap and I would need several cards.

I wire-tied mine up under the monitor so it's a fixture on my desktop, which I found better than a separate stack.

-- hide signature --

Comments welcomed on photos: http://www.captivephotons.com

If you have an XQD reader it will only read XQD cards....no others will even fit. It's the XQD card that is faster for data transfer and using USB 3.0 is a faster interface with the computer...so best of both worlds.

Lexar 64 GB XQD about $89 Compact Flash about $60 I run overflow, but how many cards will you need and what do you do now?

I just have the Sony XQD reader that came with the card and I've transferred 3K or so images by the time I go get coffee and come back. I don't think your computer is the issue.

I'll add that a new computer with certainly speed things up though. I see the second part of your question.

I've built my own desktop computers for 20+ years as I can control the components. If you are looking long term and have some knowledge and skills to build your own, I can make some recommendations for a system. Generally will cost more than what you will be able to just purchase a new Dell system though. I would say i7 processor and recent MB ($400), 500GB SSD, and a couple of 2 TB spinners ($400), 16 GB RAM min ($125) 32 ideally, decent current graphics card ($150), power supply and case ($200 or so). DVD burner and perhaps front hubs for card reader/usb will add some but not totally necessary and fairly cheap

Looking at about $1,200 that will last a long time. You could go cheaper than that too...just ideal.

Wow, a $400 MB?? Don't you think that's a little over the top? Which mother board are you talking about and what does it do that others don't, like the one I was planning on buying for a little over $100:

http://motherboardbenchmark.net/gigabyte-ga-h170-gaming-3/

Also I believe i have been told this a million times that lightroom is CPU based so a graphycs card is kind of useless. No big deal though.

$400 for processor and MB.  Agreed a good MB can be had for $100.  Agreed graphics card is less relevant but wouldn't say useless if you are building a system why skimp?  You can cut $150 Graphics card down some.

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow