5/19/17 - Screech Owl, Woodpecker, & Friends

Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
zackiedawg
zackiedawg Forum Pro • Posts: 28,156
5/19/17 - Screech Owl, Woodpecker, & Friends

Time for another bird and wildlife thread!  This time, I have some owls & woodpeckers on different 'floors' of the same 'building'...a bittern on the hunt, a few other birds, an extreme rarity both for me and for my area, and even one non-bird.

Shots taken with A6300 - the first batch mostly with the FE70-300mm G OSS, and the last bunch with the LA-EA3 and Tamron 150-600mm.

All landscape-oriented shots posted at 1400 pixels on the long side if you click the originals.

First, the shots with the FE70-300:

A red-bellied woodpecker, hammering away at the entrance to its new home - a top floor penthouse unit in a very popular palm tree

The downstairs neighbor - annoyed with all the construction going on above - is this eastern screech owl, who's lived here for a few years about 1 foot below

Least bitterns are often found in some intense pose like this...hovering over the water standing on some reeds, waiting.  This is a male, with the lovely black coloration on the head and back

See...here's another one - same type of pose, same intensity!

They're not doing it to amuse themselves - they've learned that this is a great hunting strategy, and will usually net them a dozen fish in a few hours' time

A purple gallinule, climbing his way through the leafy tops of the reeds looking for flower buds to eat...and showing off his lovely purples and blues

A lucky moment passing by this green heron mom on her nest.  She's picked a very difficult shady spot to shoot, but while watching her, I noticed a ball of fluff moving from under the safety of her belly to poke its head out for a look at the new world

And now on to the Tamron 150-600.  This is something extraordinarily rare...hard to appreciate unless you know me.  I actually woke up and got out to a pond to shoot by 8am on a Saturday!  I know...crazy.  I sleep in on weekends, and generally don't start shooting at the wetlands until 1pm.  But I had heard rumors of a very very rare bird at a pond area not too far from my house, and my best chance to see this lifer bird would be to wake early - as he was always spotted in the morning.  It's not only a bird that's not supposed to be down here in our part of Florida, but one I've never seen or photographed, so it was worth a try.

The downside - light was not getting to the pond much, and the closest I could get to the pond was about 50 feet - 300 feet to the opposite shore.  I caught these mottled ducks sitting quietly side-lit and partial silhouetted

Then...there it was.  In terrible light.  Extremely far away.  And trying to hide in the reeds.  But when you're a bird photographer, you take a rarity any way you can - so with the big Tamron at full 600mm, ISO cranked up, and cropped about 80%...I was at least able to identify a lifer bird...

A least grebe!  I know - not the most exiting looking creature.  This is a grebe usually found in the Caribbean, central America, and into Texas...only rarely does a migrant stray make it into S. Florida, and then, you never know where.  This one decided to come to Boca Raton, where I live

He never cooperated with me - he was shy, and stayed to the opposite end of the pond...so every shot is mega-cropped and at full 600mm...I stopped down 1/2 stop from wide open to keep a little extra detail with such huge crops - but still very happy to add this bird to my list

At least while walking back from the pond, I caught this red-winged blackbird male in a lovely pose atop a long branch, with a smooth distant background of wheat-colored reeds

And because I promised at least one non-bird...here's another creature that's surprisingly rare for me.  I see marsh rabbits all the time, but this eastern cottontail rabbit is something I haven't seen around my hometown for about 10 years.  They're much more common in central Florida...but early morning has a few extra perks

As always, comments encouraged, critique and questions welcome.

-- hide signature --

Justin
galleries: www.pbase.com/zackiedawg

zackiedawg's gear list:zackiedawg's gear list
Sony SLT-A68 Sony a6300 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sony DT 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 +21 more
Comment & critique:
Please provide me constructive critique and criticism.
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow