Fuji X-Trans, Lightroom, and Demosaicing

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
LordMelkor New Member • Posts: 7
Fuji X-Trans, Lightroom, and Demosaicing

I just bought the Fujifilm X-T2 (graphite edition--it looks sweet :-)), and lined up some test shots.

The jpeg performance is stellar as I'm sure most are aware. But I decided to play with the RAWs and that's when the infamous x-trans demosaicing problems reared its head.

I thought this was an issue that would only bug "pixel peepers"--but I didn't think it would be this bad.

See examples below. [Lens is the prime 23mm f2 WR]

Lightroom's RAW processing:

Decided to give RawTherapee a try:

As you can see the foliage in the back gets this weird pastel/fractal-y patterned appearance when looking at LR's version, compared to RT's improved definition.
Does anyone have workflow suggestions for RT->LR? Right now I catalog and edit all my photos with LR (and occasionally PS) Is there a clean way to use both?
What I did here was open the RAF with RawTherapee and save it as a TIFF. Then do my color/curve edits in LR.
However, it looks like RT does some auto-color/level-type steps of its own, and from a color/levels/tonality perspective--I think it's much worse that what LR does by default. As a result, I had to spend a large amount of time tweaking the TIFF to get it back to where I wanted.

Is there a way to get the best of both worlds? Non-sh**ty demosaicing, but also good color/tonality as a starting point?

Fujifilm X-T2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow