Monument Valley: C&C and suggestions for awful conditions

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SkipRD Junior Member • Posts: 45
Monument Valley: C&C and suggestions for awful conditions

I had a chance to spend a couple hours in Monument Valley a couple days ago, but unfortunately the lighting was terrible. Everything was silhouetted and washed out, it was hazy and dusty, the wind was blowing like crazy, and the sun was right in my eyeballs. Below is a shot I was able to snag, bracketing the exposures and then merging them, and tweaking contrast, saturation, etc.

So, two questions: as to this particular shot, anything I could have done (or still do) to make it better? and in general, what do good photographers do when circumstances seem to conspire against you? I know the best answer is come back when conditions are better, but that wasn't an option in this case and probably won't be on any of my remaining stops. I asked the same question to a guy on the balcony next to me with a Nikon 810 (which I guess is an indication of someone who takes photography seriously) (or has more money than he knows what to do with) and he said something like, "Take the bad conditions and make them point of the photograph, use them as part of your creative expression," or something equally mystical and/or inscrutable. Are there fall-back concepts that folks use when the planned/hoped-for shot simply isn't going to happen?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Skip

Monument Valley. Olympus OM-D E-M10Mk II, 14-42mm lens @ 14mm. Three exposures at -1/0/+1 stops, merged in Photomatix.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow