Camera performance is all about lens........Fuji vs Nikon.

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
MediaArchivist
MediaArchivist Senior Member • Posts: 3,471
Anomaly?

madhav56 wrote:

Well, this is one anomaly, that emphasizes the importance of professional experience and opinions over photo-metrics !

Many lenses, certainly older ones with wide apertures, do not have flat focal planes. This reduces their effectiveness at photographing flat things, but has much less of an effect when photographing something of depth. Like people.

The new 50/1.4 Art by Sigma was designed (it seems) to score well on tests, and it does. Yet I prefer the older Sigma 50/1.4, that despite its scores on the test charts works better for the results I want. I am rarely photographing anything flat. I also like to use a Rokkor 58/1.2, Minolta 35/1.4G, and Lensbaby Twist60; none of which score well on traditional tests but score quite well on my anecdotal "pictures people like" test. I have no numbers to back that up.

-- hide signature --

Want a roXplosion!?

MediaArchivist's gear list:MediaArchivist's gear list
Sony a99 II Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 135mm F2.8 (T4.5) STF Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +18 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow