Am I crazy for owning the X-T2, but wanting the Olympus E-M1 Mark II?

Started May 14, 2017 | Discussions thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
Photonerd088 Forum Member • Posts: 70
Am I crazy for owning the X-T2, but wanting the Olympus E-M1 Mark II?

I'm almost positive it's just a severe case of G.A.S., but the more I look into the Olympus E-M1 Mark II, the more it makes me want to dump my Fuji X-T2 and lenses for it.

I previously owned the Olympus E-M1 (mark I) along with the 12-40mm f2.8. I took an amazing Alaskan cruise vacation with it and got some stellar shots from it. Not to mention plenty of other amazing shots that I got with that camera. But then, I was lured into Fuji by the X-T1 and its manual controls and after handling one decided to jump over and have been enjoying Fuji ever since and even ordered the X-T2 as soon as I could. My current lenses are the 18-55mm f2.8-4.0, 23mm f2, 35mm f2, and the 56mm f1.2.

When the Olympus E-M1 Mark II was first announced I was astonished atop much they were asking for it! The $2k price tag of the camera plus the release of the 25mm f1.2 and 12-100mm f4 both at over $1000 each, made me think that Olympus is jacking up their prices big time while Fuji it seems remains committed to providing excellent lenses for an excellent price. Especially if you can find used prices!

However, I have recently taken up going to Comic-con conventions and have come to realize that I'm somewhat limited in my Fuji gear now. My 56mm f1.2 is AMAZING for portraits! But for full body shots, I need to be extremely far back to use it and even when ourtside it's a bit of a problem with everyone walking around. My 23mm f2 and 35mm f2 work better but then I lose that extreme detail and clarity that I seem to get with that magical 56mm f1.2. I have thought about getting the 16-55mm f2.8...a zoom is far better for a convention and the IQ from it seems to be quite amazing but then I have to worry about size and weight and when I'm out for 8-10 hours a day, that can quickly become a problem. Now, I have even thought about the 16mm f1.4...that could work, but I like the idea of a zoom for being able to adjust my focal length on the fly, especially when indoors.

This is where the idea of the Olympus E-M1 Mark II started creeping into my mind again. Paired with the 12-40mm f2.8 lens, it would be ideal for these conventi-ons that I go to. The IBIS, ergonomics, and small lens sizes would be a huge benefit over the X-T2. Plus Olympus has very excellent primes such as the 12mm f2, 17mm f1.8, and even the 25mm f1.8.

I've just been feeling that the Olympus E-M1 Mark II would suit my needs much better as of late, but I know I would lose a lot of money switching, which is fine as long as it works out. But I just want to make sure I'm not missing something with the X-T2 if that makes sense? Does anyone out there perhaps have experience with both the X-T2 and E-M1 Mark II and let me know how they compare? Or even if there's someone out there with an X-T2 who does convention stuff like I do, maybe I just need a different lens? Any advice would be appreciated!

Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow