D500 - Is it overkill for my skill level

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
GROBERTS3 Regular Member • Posts: 166
D500 - Is it overkill for my skill level

I have been shooting Dslr's for over 10 years and I am wondering if the D500 is overkill given my lack of skills. My first Dslr was a Nikon D80. That camera served me well until it died after 9 years. I replaced it with a D5500. I currently own a few decent consumer grade lenses: 18-140mm VR,  35mm F/1.8 Prime and I add  the newest Nikon 70-300 AF-P VR. I mostly use Aperature or Shutter priority mode as I still need to master and learn Manual.

I love photography and so does my wife. we both share the D5500. We both want to go to the next level. Since we play tug of war with our one Nikon Dslr, I want to add another Body since we have lenses we can trade off.  I could easily add a D5600, but really want a larger OVF some other bells and whistles. I thought about a D7200, but the D7500 was just announced.

While I was shopping for the 70-300 Nikkor lens, my rep at Best Buy showed me the D500 which is what she owns and shoots. Then I started reading about its incredible 153 point focus and fast frame rate (FPS) . I starte to get me really excited.

We love to to shoot Hummingbirds, BIF, lizards in the yard, our dogs running in the park as well as some landscape, sunsets etc.

Since we have a few decent DX lenses, a nicer DX Body makes sense, hence the D7500 or maybe even a D500.

So my question is: Is the D500 be way overkill for someone who is still learning? It seems quite superior to the DD7500 that was just announced, although that body would be arguably a nice step forward from the D5500.

My logic tells me the superior Auto Focus will increase my hit rate of in-focus photo's and that alone will be extremely rewarding. I love the Joystick and the large bright Optical viewfinder. Really helps with my 60 year old eye sight. I prefer using the viewfinder.

have any other novices opted for the D500 and found it too daunting? Would the smarter move be a D7200 or D7500? Your thoughts are most welcome. Thank you.

Nikon D500 Nikon D5500 Nikon D5600 Nikon D7200 Nikon D7500 Nikon D80
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow