Re: What was your first real camera?

JimKasson wrote:

KwhyChang wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

KwhyChang wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

KwhyChang wrote:

Mine is similar to yours, but a little dustier:

Wow! Another SP! Did you get that when it was new? I thought you were a lot younger than that.

Hi Jim,

It was ordered new by a colleague of my dad's at Dartmouth, who said they tried out ten lenses with it and chose the sharpest. He gave it to me when I was a teenager with lessons on how to use it with the light meter.

Did you have any idea what a special camera it was?

Jim

-- hide signature --

No, but these are the fondest memories of my Dad and his excitement with using it. I really liked learning with it, not that I learned much, and I shot only in B&W. He let me use the darkroom at UC Berkeley and had one of his research students show me how to develop and print. I didn't have to pay for the chemicals and paper for developing but I rarely had enough money for film.

As a kid though I had different interests.... I was more consumed with becoming a musician, and I hadn't yet developed a passion or driving interest for photography.

Why was it so special to you?

never owned an SP. It was far beyond my means when it was new. I made do with my S2, and truthfully, since the only lens I could afford was the 50/2, I would not have made better pictures with the SP.

The SP was a breakthrough camera in 1957. It was the first time a Japanese RF camera maker directly challenged the Germans (mostly Leica, by then) with what was probably the most advanced RF camera in the world. The SP was the acme of Nikon RF's, as they proceeded to put their emphasis on the Nikon F after the immense success of the Asahi Pentax, which was also introduced in 1957.

Jim

-- hide signature --

SPs are amazing cameras, the best of their time. you cans see a lot of where the Nikon F came from in the SP

-- hide signature --

Bob
www.bobdamico.com

landshark's gear list:landshark's gear list
Sony RX100 IV Ricoh GR II Sony RX1R II Nikon D810A Sony Alpha a7R II +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow