Normal shutter count on new D600?

Started May 13, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
scokill Veteran Member • Posts: 3,485
Re: You weren't the first one to try out the camera

yurikiev wrote:

Actually not exactly. Let me explain why a new camera shutter count may be more than zero. (Spoiler alert: the reason is you!)

I just got a new Nikon body and having played with (ahem "tested") the basic operations, popped on a lens and fired the very first shot. Next I checked the shutter count via www.camerashuttercount.com and aghast the _DSC0001.JPG is click number 8. I searched a bit and got to this forum and was about to file for an RMA. But I decided to investigate my old camera "odometer" vs the _DSC-number which I have never reset. Alas every several hundreds of shots the shutter counter outpaced the image number. Why would that be? Well apparently Nikon counts live view activation as shutter click. Makes total sense. I tested it on my new body and solved the mystery. In my excitement to test the basic functionality of the new body I activated the "LV" several times before even taking the first shot.

So save your preferred online retailer the RMA shipping costs and think if you had played with the live view. Also do yourself a favour and press the shutter release button with a memory card inserted before any other buttons.

Why reply to a post that is 4 years old?????

scokill's gear list:scokill's gear list
Nikon D4 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD Nikon AF-S 70-200mm F2.8E FL ED VR
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
TOF guy MOD
(unknown member)
eNo
elt
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow