I learned something useful about my D7200

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
FingerPainter Senior Member • Posts: 4,768
Consider also Easy Exposure Compensation

I'm usually in Auto-ISO so I have little use for Easy ISO. However you can choose to use Easy Exposure Compensation instead of Easy ISO. It's the same idea as Easy ISO: adjust EC using the front command dial in P or S modes and the back dial in A mode, without having to press a button.

Enable Easy Exposure Compensation by selecting Custom Settings Menu -> b:Metering/Exposure -> b3:Easy Exposure Compensation and selecting ON or ON (Auto-Reset).

On with Auto Reset can be particularly nice, since it turns off the exposure compensation when the camera is turned off. That way you don't start a new session and find yourself shooting with an EC setting you forgot you had. OTOH, the EC is also reset when the standby timer expires, and if you need to keep that timer short for some reason, Auto Reset can become a pain. On with Auto Reset will not reset EC values set when the EC button was pressed.

Since Easy ISO and Easy Exposure Compensation use the same command dials, you cannot have both enabled at the same time. Enabling either one of them disables the other.

Those command dial assignments can be swapped for A mode or for all modes but P if you desire. Select Custom Settings Menu -> f:Controls -> f5:Customize Command Dials -> Change Main/Sub. Choose ON (Mode A) to use the rear command dial to adjust Aperture in A mode and the front command dial to adjust Easy ISO or Easy EC in all modes but M. Choose ON to use the front command dial to adjust shutter in S and M modes and to adjust Easy ISO or Easy EC in A and P modes, and to use the rear command dial to adjust aperture in A and M modes, to adjust Easy ISO or Easy EC in S mode. If that's too complex to follow, maybe this table will help:

In P and S modes, a change by the user to the shutter setting will result in a reciprocal change to the aperture setting unless the minimum or maximum aperture has been reached.

In A mode, a change by the user to the aperture setting will result in a reciprocal change to the shutter setting unless the minimum or maximum shutter speed has been reached.

In P mode, the camera may change either or both of aperture or shutter when it takes a new meter reading.

In A Mode the camera may change the shutter setting when it takes a new meter reading.

In S Mode the camera may change the aperture setting when it takes a new meter reading.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow