I did it.

Started May 4, 2017 | Discussions thread
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 37,273
Re: I did it.

minoltatron wrote:

The cheaper petrol prices in the US is certainly part of the explanation, but production cost of automatic transmission is another. The higher tax rates and generally smaller cars sold in Europe, is another part of the explanation.

Dual clutch automatics transmissions, not to mention CVT's, are actually more fuel efficient than the average drivers gear shift. So in the end, the Americans made the right choice, only they did it for the wrong reason of comfort rather than fuel efficiency

I think you missed my point. By law cars in the US have to meet a certain gas milage average. Automatic Transmissions get better gas milage. To make sure people buy automatic transmission cars the manufacturers charge more money for standard so, to save money, people buy automatics. I used to buy standard transmission cars because they were much cheaper. Not I buy automatics. Most people over 30 learned to drive before the year 2000 when standard cars were cheaper or drove older cheaper cars with standards. Now standard cars are rarer and rarer so younger drivers don't know how to drive anything but automatics.

-- hide signature --

Tom
Look at the picture, not the pixels
------------
Misuse of the ability to do 100% pixel peeping is the bane of digital photography.

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +9 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow