Switching back to Canon.. probably

Started May 7, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,067
Switching back to Canon.. probably

I've been struggling with my A7rii and assorted lenses (GM 70-200, GM 24-70, GM 85, Zeiss 50 f1.4, Zeiss 35 f1.4, Zeiss 16-35 f4), and I think I'm finally so frustrated with it that I'm switching back to Canon (a 5dm4 + m3 to be specific, or a 5Ds + 5d mk3, not sure yet).

Most of my bread and butter paid work is in a studio environment (mostly advertising stuff and corporate headshots) and as many here have complained about, AF stopped down past f5.6 is almost unusable (my old mark 1 RX1 is a little faster). In addition to that, I also shoot a half dozen or so weddings a year, and occasional corporate events.

What really pushed me over the edge was using a rented 5D Mk4 for a corporate event last night plus the 24-70 f2.8 and a speedlite plus battery pack. I brought my gripped sony A7rii plus GM 24-70, godox tt685s just because I was curious how it'd do in comparison. Before the guests arrived, I did some test shots in a somewhat challenging situation for any camera: subjects moving quickly towards me, backlit as the sun was going down, transitioning from daylight to not very brightly lit hallway, stopped down to f4, and using center point AF. Sony had an atrocious keeper rate in comparison to the Canon - I think I got 1 out 3 shots in sharp focus. Whereas almost all my shots on the canon were in focus. Also, I started the night with only a half charge on the Canon battery, and it lasted 5 hours shooting pretty much constantly. Lastly, one somewhat atypical request was the client wanted to run files over to a slideshow every couple hours, and I was able to just hand off the SD card and keep shooting because I had the compactflash card set to dual write. Also, straight out of camera jpegs were required in this instance, and the canon jpegs and skin tones were as always better than the sony (in my opinion). It also reminded me how much better ergonomically the Canon 5d is. The weight of these two rigs is about the same, and the Canon is actually much more comfortable to use all night.

It kills me though, because I still love the RAW files from the Sony, but what's the point of such a high megapixel camera if you can't get a shot in focus? Shooting the canon all last night really reminded me how much better it is in challenging situations - I chimp a lot less with the 5d because I'm less worried about getting shots in focus.

-- hide signature --

sungparkphotography.com

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS M3 Sony Alpha a7R II Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow