5DIV & 70-200 f2.8 intermittent focusing problems

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
OP MaxCh Senior Member • Posts: 1,299
Re: 5DIV & 70-200 f2.8 intermittent focusing problems

checkmate91 wrote:

A couple of things: focus is wandering off, as others have stated. I too shoot fencers and use point focus and work the joystick, have also used the small zone mode on my 7D too. Also, once you've locked on in the en garde position, I tend not to constantly refocus. Finally, f2.8 is very shallow DoF.

Fencer on the left needs to practise his footwork a bit more, keep the front foot pointing straight ahead and extend further in the lunge

I'd like to thank everybody for the replies. This is very helpful. The general consensus seems to be that I should use a a single or extended focus point since AF is not appropriate for this shooting scenario. I agree and, I normally do use single center point (sometimes with the 8 surrounding assist points) for 90% of my images.

However, when it comes to fencing I found that it is hard to track fencers because they lunge very fast and unpredictably. As the result, I sometimes miss focus with the single focus mode.

I want to make it clear that most of my fencing sequences are in focus (80%-90%). It is just that once in while it seems not to work.

Below is one sequence from today where I was not able to keep track of a fencer with the single point approach (please note that I am only tracking the fencer on the left). The camera is focused on the left fencer in the first two images, and then focuses on the wall.

There is nothing wrong with the camera, I just simply was not able to manually track the action.

Below are the same images with focus points:

MaxCh's gear list:MaxCh's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow