Lacking definition on 5D mark III

Started May 1, 2017 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Marc dbr
Marc dbr Regular Member • Posts: 297
Lacking definition on 5D mark III

Hello all,

Yesterday I took some portraits using a 5D mark iii, Canon 70-200 f4L IS and a Tamron 45mm f1.8 VC. I love the results I am able to get out of that kit not just when shooting portraits, but really for all types of photography.

When viewing the pictures in Lightroom I noticed that the full body shots weren't very sharp: I will post a couple samples below so you can tell me what you think. They are not soft by any means but sharp definition that you'd expect to get with the gear I used is just lacking.

Here is some information about my settings:

-IS and VC were turned on on both lenses.

-I used autofocus with 1 of the cross type AF points right on the eyes.

-With the Tamron 45mm lens I used Live view, manually focused on the face.

I did carefully apply AFMA to both lenses on my 5D, but if you think I should invest in an automated AFMA software let me know. Also, since I am happy with the sharpness for all of the tighter portraits (headshots, from shoulders and up) I was wondering if it could be the AA filter on the 5D III that greatly reduces fine detail. Would a 5DsR get rid of this problem and provide much sharper images (which I know these lenses are capable of) ?

Canon 5D mark III with 70-200 f4 L IS @111mm - 1/250s - f4.5 - ISO 200

70-200 f4 L IS @200mm - 1/200s - f4.5 - ISO 200

Tamron 45mm f1.8 @45mm - 1/500s - f2.0 - ISO 200

Marc

Marc dbr's gear list:Marc dbr's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II +4 more
Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP 45mm F1.8 Di VC USD
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
BAK
BAK
BAK
MOD Mako2011
BAK
MOD Mako2011
BAK
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow