5DIV & 70-200 f2.8 intermittent focusing problems

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MaxCh Senior Member • Posts: 1,299
5DIV & 70-200 f2.8 intermittent focusing problems

I am getting few out-of-focus shots with 5d4/70-200 f 2.8 II while shooting fencing practice. Most of the images are actually in-focus, but about 20%-30% are misfires and I don't see any reasons why these images would be OOF.

I assume the camera and the lens are fine since most pictures are OK. It's got to be my technique. What am I doing wrong? I would appreciate any ideas/suggestions.

I used the following settings: shutter speed:1/640,ISO:2500, f-stop:f/2.8, mode: AIservo, AF mode: Left Large Zone AF case 1.

Please note that I was focusing on the left fencer only . I was not concerned at all about getting the other fencer in focus but I did try to capture both fencers. This is why I used the left large zone AF instead of the center focus mode. I expected that AF would be able to track the fencer on the left, however as you can see from the images below, the AF system still missed some shots. I probably could use a center focus point somewhere on the left but I felt the it would be easier to track the fencer with a large zone AF. Their lunges are surprisingly fast and unpredictable.

Here is the first sequence. The images 1.1-1.3 are OK but the camera focuses on the wall in images 1.4-1.7.

The same thing happens in the 2nd sequence: The camera is focused on the left fencer in the first four images but loses focus in images 2.5 and 2.6.

I am also posting the same images with AF points. It looks like the camera was always focused on the left fencer (as expected).

2nd sequence with AF points:

I can understand why 2.6 would be OOF - the focus point are indeed on the wall, however in the 2.5 AF points are on the hand.

Thanks a lot in advance! I am new to FF cameras and 70-200 f2.8 so any suggestions are appreciated.

MaxCh's gear list:MaxCh's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow