Picture resolution/Photoshop question

Started Apr 28, 2017 | Discussions thread
Exit10 Senior Member • Posts: 2,245
Re: Ehem, I think I may have screwed up...

guiri wrote:

I looked at it again and when first opening it in PS, it does look the same (quality wise) but the image is too big as it is so I have to resize it to fit the website and It think here is where I screwed up and probably gave you guys the wrong info.

So, let's start from scratch and I'm sorry for making you guys go through this.

So, here's a different question.
If I open the original and it's 300 dpi, ( big image, something like 5-6000 pixels wide) but I want to resize it to around 1000 pixels or less and I specify to keep it at 300 dpi and I choose bicubic, should it NOT retain the quality when looked at in the same size? Ie, in this case if it were 1000 pixels after resizing and if BEFORE resizing, I zoomed out so it was the same size on the screen as the 1000 pixel image. Should they look the same, quality wise?
I mean, when I resize it, it'll obviously be much smaller and I don't expect or try to zoom it in to original size.
I think I have just zoomed in too much on it and I also think that the problem is a bit my screen resolution which is 2560x1440 on a 27" screen.
I tend to zoom in so I can see things better and I think that's where I went wrong.
I haven't done this in soo many years that I've forgotten pretty much I've ever known
So, with that, I'll have to admit that I'm a moron, apologize for taking yall's time AND thank you for all the replies.

So you're starting with an image that is (lets say 6,000 by 4,000) and you want to resize it to (lets say 1,500 by 1,000) and you're asking if you might lose image quality?

Exit10's gear list:Exit10's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T6i Fujifilm X-T3 Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow