D500

Started 1 week ago | User reviews thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
arniebook Regular Member • Posts: 471
Re: D500

riman wrote:

oK OK i have bought another D500..and we shall see but I do have a question right away In the Custom settings menu F controls..under F1 and assigning the function to the AF-On button.. I have a question..suppose i assign for example 25 point dynamic area...now this will be what the focus program switches to when I press the AF-ON button BUT my problem.question .is this..How can I move the af point around when I push this button as the minute I take my finger off it to move the AF point ..it switches back to the af program I was using?>

Yes, but as soon as you again press AF-ON it will stay at the point you select AND use Dynamic 25 you have programmed. Personally, I like Group Area for the AF-On button.

Also using the "joy stick" to select focus points.,.I notice the joystick can be pressed in in addition to being used to select the area to place the focus point..what is the purpose of the pushing IN of the joystick?
Thanks

It is a programmable button as well ... I use it to select and focus with single point. The stick can still be used to position the focus point when not pressed.

A more convenient way to access the custom control assignment menu is by pressing the "i" button.

It seems to me you need to do some manual reading (uggh!). But "playing around" in the custom control assignment menu can be enlightening on it's own. You could set as many as 5 buttons for different af on + AF area if you have a lens with an fn button ... actually 6 if you leave a8 set to "ON" ... but that is really overkill, and if you truly want to use/learn the back button focus technique, a8 should be set to "OFF" so the shutter button will not activate focusing.

The manuals are downloadable from Nikon for free without needing to sign in. You will want the Menu Guide as well, which sometimes is more helpful than the User's Manual. There are other helpful guides on the Nikon website. Having them on your computer, tablet and/or smartphone makes them easily searchable without having to look through indexes.

Here is the link to the D500 download center.

http://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/323/D500.html

Enjoy your D500!

Arnie

-- hide signature --

What we spend on this stuff is equal to the depth of our pockets squared ($²) times (x) what we justify in our minds as to what we expect to do with our pictures plus (+) the enjoyment we experience from using our stuff and sharing the result ... $²(E(X)+ )=$xxxx

arniebook's gear list:arniebook's gear list
Nikon D70 Nikon D300 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow