Lens repair quandry

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
barrym1966 Senior Member • Posts: 3,222
Re: Lens repair quandry

witzgall wrote:

It could have been the switch, but in the end I returned the lens. Now to find another at a good price...

Chris

barrym1966 wrote:

witzgall wrote:

Hi all,

I just received a used 24mm f/2 Zeiss lens via eBay. The lens looks clean, but it does not autofocus. There is some kind of communication issue - it seems to sometimes bop between thinking it could af, and showing the focus points like it is in MF mode. Either way, I only see the lens move focus a bit, occasionally when the camera is first turned on.

I paid about $380, so I thought I got a smokin' deal, even though it was missing the rear cap and hood. Repair will cost about $250.00 if major parts are not needed. I don't think it is a water ingress issue.

I can return the lens for a refund, or keep and repair. I have occasionally seen the lenses go for $650 with box, hood, etc. What to do???

-- hide signature --

Chris
Annapolis, MD

Are you sure it's not the af mf switch on the lens. I bought the same lens and my mf af switch seems to change itself without me touching it. I have turned on focus peaking though in red so easy for me to see when it's switched to manual

-- hide signature --

Chris
Annapolis, MD

I need to get my switch repaired its very annoying!

also my 70-200G2 I have recently managed to knock that from AF to MF by holding the lens barrel

barrym1966's gear list:barrym1966's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R Sony a99 II Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 24mm F2 SSM Carl Zeiss Distagon T* Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow