T1 or T20 as second body to aT2? I have the answer.

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
jadot
jadot OP Regular Member • Posts: 246
Re: T1 or T20 as second body to aT2? I have the answer.
1

Cliff Fujii wrote:

jadot wrote:

Cliff Fujii wrote:

deednets wrote:

Cliff Fujii wrote:

TheClueless wrote:

jadot wrote:

I've recently been shooting a T2 and a T1 side by side. I'm a wedding photographer, and I usually carry two bodies and a couple of primes.

I don't need two T2s , but I do want the same sensor on both cameras, so I decided to buy a T20 to replace the T1.

The main thing I wanted was the sensor, but the thing(s) I was not so keen about was the smaller viewfinder, lack of grip, and some ergonomics.

I needn't have worried - the T20 is the better compliment and second camera to the T2. It's also a quality upgrade coming from the T1 in almost every way, but especially in IQ. In fact, it has some advantages over the T2 in some situations - it's smaller, almost point and shoot, and a lot of fun. Takes itself less seriously [than the T2] perhaps.

It's a more honest product in terms of what it's trying to be than any other hgher-end X for sure. A verging on the mediocre in many core ways, but not actually bad in any way, ILC in a retro tactile body aimed at people who primarily have their decision-making faculties in their eyes. The X-T20 in it's price bracket doesn't really give itself more promise than it can deliver, especially compared to the positively comedic X100F.

That's my issue with the T20. It's a camera that doesn't work well for EVF shooting as there is no joy stick and it has a touch option. Most of my shooting is done outdoors where the LCD is washed out and difficult to see in the bright sun.

If, like me, you're wondering about the merits of keeping the T1 over getting one of the latest x series cameras with the new sensor, you don't need to worry about the potential category downgrade The X-T20 might appear to be. To me and the way I shoot it's simply the better camera of the two, without question.

This is a given, The X-T1 was definitely form over function. I didn't own the X-T10 but the 20 is definitely a more reasonably all-round enthusiast package in comparison.

if you had the choice beteeen the T20 and the T2 you should get the T2.

But getting that sensor in a small, robust, fun little camera for a lot less than the T2 shouldn't be ignored.

Not when it's this good.

It's kinda fun for sure - and I think you could successfully make the X-T2 second body argument that it's a much less intimidating / less error-prone hand-off-to-others body in a more casual setting when you flip it into Auto. I will almost definitely be keeping the X-T2 alone when I'm done with intensively shooting the current crop of new Fujis, but the 20 is definitely making that a harder decision that I thought it'd be.

-- hide signature --

examples of my photography at www.alexanderleaman.com

-- hide signature --

Cliff

I think you are really pushing it here in oder to be right in the end: the X-T1, the X-E1/2 and all the others on the market without a joystick don't work well, so you have to use the LCD?

Sorry but that's my issue. I have the touch screen turned off. I tried to reprogram the d-pad but that produced other issues.

User error - it's the easiest thing to do. Add AF functions to each D-PAd and you're good to go. What issues could that possibly cause?

How can you say user error when you don't know what the other issues are? I turned the d-pad off because I have found in the day to day usage of the camera, the d-pad would get bumped and the camera setup would change. In this case, I would have to verify that the focusing point is in the spot where I want it. I find it more reliable for me to just turn off the d-pad and work from My Menu or the Q Menu.

Ok Cliff - I can see that you're deliberately being awkward and trolling this thread, but to give you the benefit of the doubt I'll answer for you.

If what you're saying is true - that you 'bumped' the d-pad inadvertently  changing the camera settings (who does that?!) then the problem is not the camera. Pretty much every camera in this class has external buttons that change the settings on the camera!

If you can't handle the external controls and need to trip into the menus then there are plenty of cameras that are designed just for photographers like yourself.

Or, like I said; User error.

The X-T1 works really well - and so does the X-T20 - downwards error, the 4-way controller? Really far from difficult.

Did my D800 have a joystick?

No but I wouldn't buy a D800 today.

Because it doesn't have a joystick? How on earth did you cope up until about 2015?

I think you dug yourself a little hole here, seriously you can't be that inflexible?

Deed

I'm afraid I am. I learn to use a camera one way and stick with it. That way, in a tight situation, I can quickly recover.

-- hide signature --

Cliff

Surely you had to learn how to use an AF joystick/lever seeing as they're a relatively new addition to camera bodies?

You can setup the AF Joystick to activate by pressing the joystick so it's locked.

Not really sure what your point is here, but yes, there are many features and functions you can assign to external buttons on Fuji cameras, joystick or not. In fact, you can, as you've pointed out, turn off the joystick and use the d-pad buttons as per pretty much every camera from the last 15 years, but taking into consideration your 'issues' with not being able to navigate such external controls without catastrophic incompetent blunder (see also - user error) this might not pan out to be such a good idea.

I think in this situation it might be wise to understand that any or all  of the original discussion is, according to you at least, not intended to be understood by you.

I mean no offence, but you really don't seem to have had much of a grasp on the theme of the discussion. Instead it transpires that you have absolutely no need or intention to benefit from shooting with a Fuji X-T20, which would be fine of course, were it not for the blatantly obvious premise that you simply don't know or can't understand how to use the incredibly simple user interface.

Attempting to blame the camera, and to denounce it as woefully unprofessional is baffling if not extremely ironic.

Sorry Cliff - I feel like I'm bashing you on this thread a bit but your arguments just don't make any sense, apparently to anyone but yourself. It sounds like a bunch of excuses and a whole load of stubbornness, and the thing is, it can only be you that is negatively effected by your seemingly unwillingness to accept that you might have it wrong!

I want to help - you can take it or leave it.

Firstly - you've hijacked this thread to put over your opinion that one should never under any circumstances, use two slightly different cameras on a job. You've described how it's not the way a pro would do it (according to your definition of a 'pro') so therefore it is foolhardy and distinctly reckless for anyone to think that such a maverick approach is anything but a catastrophe.

Then you eventually end up by saying that actually you personally can't handle the simple switch between cameras, and that whenever your expected disaster occurs you can recover from it quickly without the world caving in. I have to wonder how things would get so desperate for you that the only way out of such a cataclysmic mess for you would be to rely on your automatic muscle memory as a crutch to fix a problem which probably isn't that serious anyway. This assumption that people have, especially about wedding photography (which is where this thread started), that the world will come to end if you the photographer doesn't get the one shot that represents the entire life story and coming together of two people in a fraction of a second, in that single moment, that witnessed testament to the meaning of life, and the photographer will forever be the failed guardian of the golden image not captured - it's just crazy. And that shot was missed because the photographer made the horrific and unprofessional decision to not have an identical camera body to his other camera (which he could have used in the above situation by the way) and he forgot how to choose the focus point quickly enough to miss the shot.

Life moves on and there are other things to be thinking about at a wedding when you're the photographer.

I just don't get it. I just don't get that built in expected failure. I don't get the unnerving "something terrible will probably happen" attitude that is so debilitating that a person might eschew the idea of photography as a flexible, adaptive, creative process that can capture the essence of time and motion, and thrives on the concept of elasticity and rapid fire problem solving.

I have photographed 2 weddings, 3 pre-wedding sessions, and a family portrait session since I started this thread, all using the Fuji X-T2 and the Fuji X-T20, side by side, and in perfect harmony. Out of the approximately 250 people I've encountered at these events, not one person has questioned my ability, whether I'm a pro or not, or why on earth I would have two different cameras on my person. Actually I didn't even really notice that the cameras were particularly different! I didn't miss any one shot that I wasn't supposed to capture, I didn't have any disasters, and the only recovery I've had to endure has been simply down to tiredness.

-- hide signature --

examples of my photography at www.alexanderleaman.com

-- hide signature --

Cliff

-- hide signature --

examples of my photography at www.alexanderleaman.com

 jadot's gear list:jadot's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 18mm F2 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow