Dabbling with 4K stills

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
OP AlwynS Regular Member • Posts: 467
Re: A few more

Rodger1943 wrote:

I like the hummer shots. That one you thought might have been rolling shutter, I don't think is, it looks to me like the hummer was just twisting in mid flight.

Thanks Rodger. The possibility of rolling shutter crossed my mind due to the fact that 4K uses the electronic shutter. But I agree: it is quite possible (probable?) that I just caught the extremely quick and agile little hummingbird in the process of turning away.

I definitely had an image that was corrupted by rolling shutter a year or two ago: I will have to look for it and post it.

I find that although I use 4K video quite a lot, the slow start and stop make it very difficult for quick shots. I have never had a problem with the screen blacking out, as its so quick, that to me, its a non issue, however for birds in flight, I nearly always use my red dot sight. That way you aren't using the screen/viewfinder at all. Olympus make a great one called the EE-1 Dot Sight. I don't know if you have looked at them, but they really make it a lot easier to track a fast moving bird.

To my great shame I have to admit I actually HAVE an Olympus EE-1! I started using it but struggled a bit. So I"temporarily" went back to the normal viewfinder. And as these things tend to do, "temporary" has dragged out quite a bit now...

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P610 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow