What's the right exposure?

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
jlafferty Regular Member • Posts: 155
Re: I've never been able to make ETTR work

I've only just really begun to understand ETTR properly after fighting it ignorantly for a long time. It does require you to test your gear, to find limits, to work in a new way. What it doesn't do is introduce banding or only address long fixed shortcomings. ETTR will literally buy you a full stop of clarity, and if you're shooting landscapes, as much as two and a third (preliminary testing with my D810 shows this is the furthest I can comfortably push a scene and still retain whites). No matter how good an in camera processor will get it will never give you detail lost at capture, and that's what you're doing if/when you avoid ETTR.

drh681 wrote:

the way some people think it should.

When you use that method you run too close to the edge of blow outs, and post processing generates banding.

The evaluative mode in your light meter is a replica of the zone system that has been specifically tuned to the sensor and processor in that camera.

When you play ETTR games you are pushing the zones out of place by two stops.

ETTR was developed to address specific weaknesses in early digital cameras.

Those weaknesses have been long eliminated.

Each new generation of image processor and image sensors has gotten better and better results by using the tools the makers put in the box.

Why do you want to ignore all those millions of man hours of work and engineering in favor of an outdated processing hack?

-- hide signature --

And don't walk in front of a moving bus.
Unless it's going backwards.
Then walking in front is the smart move.

-- hide signature --

http://jimlafferty.com
General scoundrel. Advocate for good photography ahead of proper technique.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow