Just bought a new camera D5600 and a bit dissapointed

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
NCB Regular Member • Posts: 211
Re: Just bought a new camera D5600 and a bit dissapointed

For starters, the P900 is a remarkable camera. Nikon seems to have pulled out the stops; it not only has the longest zoom around but it delivers very attractive pleasing jpegs. It defies the notion that superzooms can only be compared with other superzooms.

Having said that, there are limits to what that tiny sensor can do. Look at the results at pixel level, and they're not great. That may not matter too much, but put it a different way. The results are fine viewed at moderate size on screen. But as you enlarge them, the results are less satisfactory. I can crop a shot taken at the telephoto end and still get a "pleasing" pic, but technically I can see the limitations, such as loss of sharpness, etc.

With the D5600, not only is it capable of producing sharper pics with a lot more detail at pixel level,  but it has a wider range of options for you to choose from. I'd suggest spending time going through the basics of what it'll do, and see how the results look to do. So, take a look at the Picture Controls, and see what sort of colour you prefer. Standard is OK; me, I prefer Neutral, which gives me the colours I'm seeing, and which I use for landscapes the whole time. You won't find any which gives you quite what the P900 gives you (maybe there should be), but you have a good choice. Next, think about Active D-lighting. I use it the whole time, and it's about the best thing on the market for delivering the sort of dynamic range which retains both highlights and shadows. You had these on the P900 but they are more effective and important on the D5600.

Another thing, be prepared to tweak things in software. Nikon's jpegs are very good, but minor tweaks using something like Photoshop Elements can make a lot of difference.

Get the 35mm f1.8 lens. It's one of the few which really do justice to the D5600 resolution, and gives a useful base for comparing with the 18-105 output.

At the end of the day, output is largely a matter of taste. I bought a D5500 a year ago. Eventually I sold it on, because to me the results I was getting out of my 5-year old D3100 were that bit more satisfying. The D5500 was still a very good camera, but not what I needed.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
Mako2011 MOD
NCB
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow