Adobe: Time to say good-bye?!

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
newmikey Veteran Member • Posts: 4,590
Iliah, I should have used better terminology

Iliah Borg wrote:

Andrew said it as it is above. Proprietary raw is not a new raw format.

What new raw formats are you meaning? Fuji and Samsung both offered SDK to read their new formats, and apart from that I do not remember any new raw formats in last 2 something years.

I should not have used the word "raw format" to describe the way a new(er) camera generates a raw file in an existing format but with new content. Point taken.

I'd love to see camera companies disclose the details of the raw file metadata content but that seems to be a pipedream. Why would they? They try to squeeze the most out of what they have in an attempt to have software which delivers better results than 3rd-party software such as Adobe. It is part of what makes their cash registers go.

If they were all to turn 180 degrees tomorrow an do as you suggest, there would be even less of a reason to have the DNG format out there. Why is the fact they are NOT doing that provide an alibi for DNG?

However, sitting on LibRaw development as you do and knowing what the guys in the exiv2 and exiftools projects do and how this information is used by software developers such as those doing digiKam, RT and DT, you can't say there is no attempt made at reverse engineering proprietary metadate to then use it in the image pipeline to the benefit of the users.

At least the F/OSS community is doing thàt in an attempt to squeeze the last bit of quality out of a raw file while Adobe would have you dispose of all of that data by either stripping it through its DNG "converter" or by entirely ignoring it in its software. How is thàt beneficial?

I only have to look at the progress made in processing pixel-shift files by the RT team (I know they are not using libraw) which results is better IQ than ACR, possibly even better than the Pentax proprietary software.

But I could also look at the fact that the metadata my camera generates today is safer when held in a format which truly IS a digital negative -metadata which cannot be "adjusted" or wiped by software which manages to write DNG files. I may not be able to use that metadata today, but I certainly want to preserve it, assuming I could be using software which utilizes it to improve IQ tomorrow.

newmikey's gear list:newmikey's gear list
Ricoh GR Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 50-135mm F2.8 ED (IF) SDM Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow