Clear stills from motion videos

Started 3 days ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Porky89
Porky89 Regular Member • Posts: 392
Re: Clear stills from motion videos

stroutman81 wrote:

Hello,

I've been trying to grab clear screenshots from videos I've filmed with my Nikon d5100 during playback on my computer. The video quality look fantastic. However, if I pause during a high action sequence (think kid jumping)... the still is always blurry. Even if I pause the video.. it's blurry. But if I watch it without pausing... it looks fine.

What am I missing? Is there some setting on the DSLR that needs to be fine tuned for higher quality to allow me to pause on a particular second and have it be clear?

Thanks!

You need to increase the shutter speed. The shutter speed when shooting video is usually set to half the frame rate. So if you are shooting at 30fps, for example, you would normally use a shutter speed of 1/60th of a second, which tends to produce blurry still frames during fast action.

Your D5100 allows you to set higher shutter speeds that will produce sharper still frames and this can be done in several different ways depending on the exposure mode you choose. Full details in the manual!

-- hide signature --

The most startling incident in my life was the time I discovered myself to be a poet, which was in the year 1877.
William McGonagall

Porky89's gear list:Porky89's gear list
Ricoh Caplio R6 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-P72 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS30 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow