Prime 2/3-lens setup

Started 5 days ago | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Joachim Gerstl
Joachim Gerstl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,103
Re: Prime 2/3-lens setup

FTOG wrote:

Hey guys,

I've been using the X-E2 for a while now with 18/2.0 and 27/2.8.
I do not want to lug around too much gear and like to focus on 2-3 prime lenses.

On my film bodies, my wide normal walk-around lenses were in the range of 35mm to 40mm:

• Olympus OMs: 24mm, 40mm, 85mm
  • Leica M2/Voigtländer R2m: no wide, 35mm, 50mm

I mostly shoot candid scenes from landscape to street photography. As a general purpose lens, the 40mm equivalent often feels a bit too narrow for me, therefore I consider acquiring the 23/2,0 and ditching the 27/2.8:

• Wider view angle
  • One stop faster aperture
  • Aperture ring
  • Supposedly faster AF
  • (Weather resistance, is nice-to-have but no a big criteria for my use)

Mid-/Long-term, I'd want to supplement the pair with a 50/2.0 to complete my kit.

• What are your thoughts on that prime lens stepping: 18/2.0, 23/2.0, 50/2.0?
  • If you have a similar gap between 23mm and 50mm, does it bother you?
    In the past I did not find myself liking 35mm (50mm ff equivalent) too much, favouring wider perspectives or short tele lenses. But I also have been on a bit of a photography hiatus recently and I am re-exploring what works for me and what does not

Thanks for the input!

F

If it works for you it is great. I think I'm more a wide angle guy. If choose to shoot with only three primes it's: 14/2.8, 23/2, 35/1.4. I would still recommend to think twice about the 50mm. It sits a little but in-between all chairs for me. Too short for a pure portrait lens and much too long for street shooting.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000 Fujifilm X-Pro2 +12 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow