A9: amazing if you care that much for bragging rights.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
marcio_napoli Senior Member • Posts: 1,218
A9: amazing if you care that much for bragging rights.

I'm seeing A9 threads maxing out before you can blink your eyes.

I'm off to bed, but before I'd like to write some thoughts and see what you guys think.

I'm not against tech, and I'm certainly no sport shooters (possibly they relate to photography very differently than I do), but I honestly ask, at what point do we draw the line between actually necessary specs vs specs for pure gear heads nerdgasm?

Maybe I'm too far off from a sport shooters mindset, I don't know.

But let's discuss some core A9 specs, shall we?

241 RAWs at 20 fps.

That's 12 seconds at maximum frame rate.

Are you REALLY planning to press your shutter button for 12 seconds?

Educate me which subject (besides some science project) requires a sequence of 241 frames.

Maybe this is me talking as a fashion photographer. 1 fps is enough for me.

But even so, I can totally understand why a birder / wildlife / sports shooter needs 8 fps, 9 or 10.

Even 12, if you're capturing the perfect moment in a World Cup final and you have demanding editors breathing down your neck, and you have bills to pay.

But 20?

In my own little world, I believe no subject (besides some science project) requires 20 fps.

If you think you need that much to catch the perfect timing, man up your game.

Step up and know how to time the shot.

f you're shooting sports for a magazine, you already know this and don't need 20 fps.

Sport pros have been paying the bills since the days of advancing film with a lever.

693 AF points.

Yup.

The once absolutely awesome 51 AF pts (Nikon D3) and 45 AF pts (a bunch of pro Canons) are actually officially garbage now.

Except not.

If one can't do his/her job with 51 AF pts, time to man up the game.

1/32000 shutter speed.

Search your entire life as a photographer. How many times did you hit the 1/8000 mark?

Personally I remember 1 or 2 occasions on the beach (Brazillian summer we're talking about), shooting portraits at f1.4.

Needless to say, these could very well be improved by shooting f2.8 or whatever.

1/32000?

Besides that science project, hmmm... just nope.

Just bragging rights, and to be honest, it doesn't make me any cooler with the girls.

1/32000 or not, no 6 pack ab to be seen and I still look like a nerd.

Wake me up when that's 1/32000 flash sync speed.

Until there: zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Before I continue this post, and before anyone shouts in the back row, I'm not trying to defend Canikon.

Could care less about Nikon and their D5, or Canon 1Dx II, etc.

Shooting fashion, I'm more interested in DMF.

I'm definitely not writing this stuff because I'm scared Sony is hurting Nikon's mojo.

What I'm saying is that those specs mean so little in real life, it's nothing more than bragging rights.

There're times when game changer specs really do appear, like 4:2:2 10 bit video on the GH5, or the day we will see RAW video on a prosumer level camera.

On chip A/D converters on Exmor sensors, SR pixels on the earlier days of Fuji Super CCD, taking away the AA filter on the D810 (making the gap smaller between 135 and DMF), or the birth of affordable DMF cameras like Fuji's GFX 50s.

Those are game changer specs.

But it's amazing to see how those A9 specs change so little in actual photography (1/32000 ??), and how it still causes shockwaves in gear forums nevertheless.

If all one cares are specs to feel good, awesome, the A9 must be a dream.

In the mean time, I'll continue to shoot (less than) 1 fps, using only the center AF point (it might as well be the only existing AF point), and keep getting reasonable real world shutter speeds.

It's the photographer, not the camera.

Hope any fanboy here sees the core message of my thread, and don't start a trolling war zone.

Best regards,

Marcio Napoli

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Nikon D5 Nikon D810 Panasonic GH5 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow