Dabbling with 4K stills

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AlwynS Regular Member • Posts: 429
Dabbling with 4K stills

BIF is a particular interest of mine. As such there are some aspects of the FZ1000's burst mode that I really struggle with. I normally use the Medium speed burst mode with AFC: the nominal 7FPS is completely adequate for me and focusing between shots is non-negotiable. Whether predictive focus really adds any value is moot.

My principal concerns while using this mode are i) the long EVF blackout period and ii) the fact that live view displays the last recorded image, not what the sensor is currently seeing. This makes tracking very difficult for me. About a week ago I therefore decided to more actively try stills extracted from 4K video as an alternative. Unfortunately the weather has not been very good over the past little while up here in the Vancouver area so I have not been able to do a decent amount of testing. What little I have done was at our local Bald Eagle nest close to our house. Some representative results:

Five days ago when it was still rather overcast:

This afternoon when it was a bit brighter and the sky more blue: all 3 images taken from the same sequence when the one adult was bringing some food to the nest and changed spots with the one sitting on the eggs.

This setup is not ideal for testing 4K but at least it is something. For me the jury is still out: while the blackout/live view problem is all but eliminated, due to the "tighter" image in the viewfinder it is still not easy to track a flying bird. Even in this situation where the spot where the bird is going to fly to is known and the speed is relatively low it is still no walk in the park.

So: I need to hope for better weather and try and get out over the weekend to get more results.

Cheers
Alwyn

AlwynS's gear list:AlwynS's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P610 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow