50mm f2

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
wouterv OP Regular Member • Posts: 388
Re: 50mm f2

wouterv wrote:

If it wasn't for the excellent optics and nice rendering of the 35mm f1.4 and 60mm f2.4, I would have sold them a long time ago (simply due to the autofocus, certainly in the case of the 60mm). However, having tried both for a little bit last night on the new X-T20, I'll most probably stick to them and not get the new 50mm f2.

I tried both lenses indoor in rather tricky lighting and they held up nicely. The autofocus has improved a lot compared to using them on the X-E2, or at least that's my impression (which is the only thing that counts really, isn't it :-))

The 16mm f1.4 and 23mm f2 were heaps faster still, but that was to be expected. The only lens that was still as slow as before was the XC 50-230mm, but that doesn't concern me.

I hope to do some shooting in good light (daytime) this weekend. I suppose that will basically confirm my initial findings in tricky lighting, and thus close the deal.

-- hide signature --

Update: the deal is closed

Just did a very quick autofocus trial outside in bright light. Nothing serious, nor scientific though. But, both the 60mm f2.4 and the 35mm f1.4 were plenty fast! I'm definitely keeping them. Combined with the 16mm f1.4 and the 23mm f2 they form a pretty awesome combo.

I'm really amazed at how the 60mm f2.4 performs on the X-T20. The first X-camera I used it on was the X-A1, then the X-E2 and now the X-T20. Such an improvement in speed! I feel like it'll be perfectly useable now, where I would miss a lot of shots in the past. And of course the excellent IQ hasn't changed one bit.

-- hide signature --
 wouterv's gear list:wouterv's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm 50-230mm +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow