Canon 7D Mark II + Tamron SP 150-600mm IS G2 Focusing Issue

Started 4 days ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dude in CA New Member • Posts: 2
Canon 7D Mark II + Tamron SP 150-600mm IS G2 Focusing Issue

I'm using this combination from a rental company to test out before buying.  I also have a 1.4x Tamron teleconverter in place.  I'm having some strange focusing issues at max zoom.  I don't have any sample images but I'll try to descibe the test I set up after having some trouble focusing on objects 15-20 feet away.  I set a basketball in the grass about 30 feet from me.  I had a pile of dirt and twigs about 10 feet from me.  With max zoom the AF system will not focus on the ball but can focus on the dirt just fine.  I can manually focus on the ball but as soon as I press the shutter it tries to refocus and fails.  It seems to focus all the way out one direction then focus all the way back, passing in focus, and then stopping at some point that is out of focus.  It does this no matter which AF mode I use (One shot, focus and servo).  If I reduce the zoom to about 400 it starts focusing fine again.

I'm a total beginner (don't even have a memory card for this camera until tomorrow which is why I don't have images) so please forgive me if I've left out some important detail.  Just ask and I'll do my best to answer.  I really want to make this work right if I can.  I thought it was a minimum focusing distance issue but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Canon EOS 7D Mark II Tamron SP 1.4X Pro Teleconverter Tamron SP 150-600mm F5-6.3 Di VC USD G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow