Is Canon less prone to AF errors?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Max Iso
Max Iso Senior Member • Posts: 5,023
Is Canon less prone to AF errors?

Hello all. So here's some bg info first off. I have used DSLRs from Pentax, Nikon and Canon, as well as ML in MFT. The main reason why i have bought ML was focus errors with my DSLRs. K5IIs, K3, A33, A77II, D7000, D300, D800, and a 70D. Intermixed with those i have owned 3ML bodies from Panasonic.

I ask bc i visited BestBuy today to compare a few cameras and i really liked the 80D. The VF AF was very fast and so was the DPAF (and i miss the battery life and OVF of a DSLR). Im just curious of people's experience with different brands with AF issues. Looking back, the single biggest reason i bought ML was for the consistency of on sensor AF, and the only DSLR that i didn't have any focus issues with was the 70D.

Was this luck and i just got a copy that worked better than the rest? Was it just the 19pt design that was less prone to errors? For the record, im not talking about the infrequent random miss which even my ML runs into, im talking about consistent, regular focus misses brought on possibly by a change in temp or humidity.

For clarification, i always used Micro Adjust and im very familiar with it, but what would happen is i would have it all set using my indoor setup and when i would go outside, it would be off. I live in the midwest which often has high humidity which is why i bring up atmospheric conditions, but again, it didn't seem to be an issue with my 70D. It was good any time, any condition. I have even looked back through my photos, some raws, and there were very few misses.

I much prefer OVFs and i have much more confidence in the C-AF of a camera like an 80D than any similarly priced ML body, the only catch is the AF consistency. Anybody have any insight about Canon? Are their tolerances better? Are their AF sensors made differently? Am i wrong about them being less prone to this?

I welcome any and all comments.

-- hide signature --

"burn the bed, consummated
rest the head, it just holds us back now
and still she keeps on looking, of course, of course
and now there's nothing I hate as much
wet the lips, and shut your pretty mouth
use the kiss, tomorrow fails to exist
and now there's nothing I...
it all surfaces in this light, it all surfaces
words under my breath
taking my time, breaking your smile
feed the wish, and let it flourish
head for shore, and let me haunt you
and now there's nothing I hate as much
I will sleep, throughout the infection
fast asleep, where nothing can find me
words under my breath, taking my time
breaking your smile, everyone goes away
I cant even try, I watched you slip away
words under my breath, taking my time
breaking your smile, every one goes away
i won't ever try, i watched you slip away"
-Effigy 23

Max Iso's gear list:Max Iso's gear list
Nikon D7000
Canon EOS 70D Canon EOS 80D Nikon D300 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Sony SLT-A33
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow