Focusing Screen Gold Mounts/Frames

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
Jandeman New Member • Posts: 4
Re: Focusing Screen Gold Mounts/Frames

Hi,

To my understanding, you still have one shim remaining intact. You mention they were on both sides of the focusing screen. Now, these shims only serve a function between the screen and the pentaprism, so the other one was left in your camera as a spare, for possible future focus calibration, albeit with a different focusing screen. See here.

If you need more shims/spacers for focus calibration and don't have them, send an email to the company and they will probably send you a pair by mail after you pay for shipping costs or something like that.

I just installed an S-type focussing screen (from the same company) in my D700, I had two rubber shims supplied with the screen. For my camera, It back-focused after simply swapping the screens, so I had to replace the existing copper (not gold:) shim with one rubber shim to achieve near perfect focus.

Note: When the focusing screen is flat against the pentaprism (without spacers/shims), it is supposed to back-focus. Otherwise, calibration would be impossible.

Jandeman's gear list:Jandeman's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow