Is this normal? Metering button acting up.

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
gabgon Regular Member • Posts: 205
Is this normal? Metering button acting up.

Hello,

I noticed that the metering button on my D3 is finicky and requires a little more to turn than it should. It is also wanting to stay in Matrix metering even if turned to spot or center weighed. It takes a little messing with it before you can get it just right and manage to get it to "stay" at the setting you need it at.

I went ahead and programmed another button so that the camera will go to spot metering when I need it. So selector switch stays in Matrix, and instead of messing with the button, I just press the programmed button and it goes to spot. Ok so far so good.

Today I didn't have a lens on the camera, just the camera cap and turned the camera on and looked through the viewfinder. I noticed that the camera is always at center weighed without a lens even though the selector switch is set at Matrix and the programmed button is set to spot. When a lens is attached, it goes to Matrix as it should.

I tried this on my D3s and it does something totally different. If the selector switch is set to Matrix, then the camera will be at Matrix regardless of whether a lens is attached or not.

Should the camera be requiring a lens to display the proper metering mode? My D3s doesn't think so. My D3 is acting up. Any ideas?

-- hide signature --

There's not 2 but 3 sides to every story. Theirs, yours, and what really happened.

gabgon's gear list:gabgon's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D3S Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D3 Nikon D3S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow