a9 electronic shutter scan time

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
JimKasson
JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 13,122
a9 electronic shutter scan time

I've been through the announcement materials, and I can't find any mention of the electronic shutter scan time, even though the DPR says that the primary shutter mode is electronic.

Anybody know?

We know it's faster than 1/20 second, because that's the minimum frame period (one over the frame rate). But how much faster? 1/20 second will give lots of artifacts in action situations, and difficulty with many artificial light sources.

Or maybe they don't use a single slit? With a stacked sensor they wouldn't have to, However, that would likely make the artifacts more objectionable, and maybe provide some really strange bokeh.

What's the frame rate with the mechanical shutter? If it's low, and if the electronic shutter scan time is long, then that may limit the utility of the camera for dynamic subjects.

I'm thinking that 1/60 second scan time would be acceptable for many action situations.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can let me know if I missed the answers to these questions in my reading of the announcement material.

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Nikon D810 Sony Alpha 7R II Nikon D5 Fujifilm GFX 50S Sony a9 +3 more
Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
osv
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow