MFT / Cycling All Arounder?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Handiworks
Handiworks Regular Member • Posts: 126
MFT / Cycling All Arounder?

Good to be back scrounging through all the DP threads I've missed!

Several months ago many of you helped me significantly while checking out the MFT format for the first time.  I decided at that time to stay with my D5500 and associated glass... but that all sells tomorrow!

As an avid cyclist I'm incorporating into my decision process the possibility of going with something smaller and I'm curious of everyone's experience with the below cameras?

last fall I had decided on either an Oly OMD Em1 (with the 2.8 Pro) deal or the new Lumix G85.  There looks like a few deals still around for the old Oly flagship and pro lens, but I'm wondering if perhaps the E-M5 or E-M10 might be the better play?

There doesn't seem to be such a huge difference between the G85 to the E-M5 in height and width, but depth is almost doubled.  With the removable hand grip for the smaller Oly's it seems they might be the better option, but I'm wondering if the 81 point contrast AF is on par with what I'd need (I really love my D5500's 3D AF).

The camera to price-point on the E-m10 is excellent but I really like the 3-axis lcd... but perhaps not enough to justify the price diff to the E-m5.  This will also be used on regular everyday photography and video with my family (and 5 kids!).

Looking at:
- Lumix G85

- Oly E-M10

- Oly E-M5

- Oly OMD - EM-1

- Pancake Prime for cycling
Thanks for your thoughts and feedback!
If there are any cyclists or ultralight Backpackers out there, I'm open to any other suggestions!
~C

-- hide signature --

D5500, D200, & 1 MFT lens and building
"A smooth sea never made a skillful sailor"

Handiworks's gear list:Handiworks's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D5500 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR
Nikon D5500 Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic G85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow