Anyone thinking of M43?

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
717 Regular Member • Posts: 274
Anyone thinking of M43?

I have been shooting my D60 since forever it seems like. I know - it is the man not the gear - etc etc, but trying to deal with noise and hitting a moving object with the one good focus point is getting old. Not that it still doesn't take really good pictures still when it locks on I really have grown to love BIF, which was not even remotely possible with my old slow to focus DSC-F717. In 2017 the D60 seems a really bad choice for that, but when I first got it, it was magic

I have been going nuts trying to think of my next step. I have been looking at pretty much everything and been all over the forums reading up. I probably will get a P&S/bridge camera like an FZ-300 for hiking and other "don't want to carry weight and/or expensive gear" situations.

I have thought of FX, but I own no lenses that would be decent on an FX body, so there goes $$$$.

I am seriously thinking of a used D300 or new/refurb D7200. Then the G85 comes out. Weatherproof body, excellent IBIS, and all movie modes Nikon apparently only dreams of. Not a bad price either. Telephoto lenses are relatively small and Panny DFD AF seems pretty good. Not current day Nikon standard, but surely a lot better than what i have. It seems a no brainer...................but then I look at the photos they post and they mostly look "off". Compared to even my old Nikon, the images just seem more like P&S or bridge camera stuff than my camera.  Subtle details like feathers or grass, noise, etc, all seems a bit not up to par.

Has anyone else looked that way and come to the same conclusion? I wonder sometimes if I pixel-peep myself to death. I may just go bridge/P&S cam for when just getting a decent good enough shot is good enough and stay Nikon for the good stuff.

(why not post this in M43? I realized that telling people crappy looking photos are crappy more or less just starts a flame war and I don't want to be that guy)

Nikon D300 Nikon D7200 Panasonic G85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow