Old camera, old lenses, still winners

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Michael J Davis
Michael J Davis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,282
Old camera, old lenses, still winners

I put three prints into our club quarterly competition last night, and won and had two runners-up.

According to many pundits here, they were with old out-of-date equipment: here reproduced at 50% of the print resolution.

The judge raved about this bird, the sharpness and resolution and awarded it the top mark.  I didn't tell him it was taken with the outdated E-M5 with that awfully soft 2008 Panasonic 45-200mm lens that came with my G1 kit:-

Grey Heron

Now this, where the judge commented on the clarity of the shadow detail, and the lack of burned-out highlights, was taken also with that E-M5 and the 2009 Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 at full aperture. ('Banding' did I hear someone say?)

Carols at St Mary in the Baum

But the biggest mistake the judge made was with this print taken with the 2008 Panasonic G1 and the 7-14mm lens, also with the runner-up award. He commented on the clarity and sharpness from near to far, and the ideal perspective.

Evening sun at St Leonard's Middleton

Please bear in mind these were all prints where the smaller dimension was around 30cm; reduced to half the resolution here.

What was that about GAS?

I'm to give a talk at our club next month about Micro four-thirds - but since I started the trend with the G1, over half the members have m43 cameras!

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis
Photographing the public for over 60 years
www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

Michael J Davis's gear list:Michael J Davis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow