Considering M43 plus pan 100-400 for safari

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Mr Keys Forum Member • Posts: 89
Considering M43 plus pan 100-400 for safari

Hi,

the last couple of months I've been reading about long tele-options for an upcoming safari to Kenya in september, so I still got time to think. As a general wildlife/birding option after that.

I will use my A7r2 with either Batis18 or Sony 16-35 f4, and 24-70GM (might also bring 70-300).

- I've been considering Sony RX10 mk3, but I'm put off by the small sensor, and the poor low light capabilities (at least that's what I've read somewhere).

- The new FE 100-400, to match with an a6300, is a bit too expensive.

- The sigma/tamron 150-600 with an aps-c camera (adapted to a6300) is an option, but it's bulky. Right now I'm trying to stay mirrorless, but I do realize it limits my choices a great deal.

So my next option is a m4/3 camera (olympus/panasonic) combined with the panasonic 100-400. The GH5 and EM5mk2 is too expensive for now.

Would the GX8 be a good choice? I like that it's weathersealed and 20mpx.

A larger sensor(aps-c) brings a few advantages, but also means bulky and heavy.

The budget allows for the 100-400 lens, and a body in the price range of GX8....+/- a tad bit.

Thoughts? Advice? Experience? Birds in flight? Safari? Focus Isolation/bokeh when objects are far away? etc...

Mr Keys's gear list:Mr Keys's gear list
Sony Alpha 7R II Sony a6300 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow