Will the A9 actually be a "wakeup call" for Sony?

Started 6 days ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MoreorLess Veteran Member • Posts: 4,235
Will the A9 actually be a "wakeup call" for Sony?

The previous thread having maxed I went with a new one if people don't mind.

To me it seems like whilst yes the A9 is obviously more competition for Nikon it might well turn out to be a release that has a much harder time in the market than previous FE cameras.

The talk is often DSLR vs Mirrorless but actually I tend to think that a lot of the market for the latter tends to be new rather than just cannibalising the former. How many Sony FE buyers are people who didn't really consider a FF DSLR previously? Equally how many of them are naturally attracted to "new tech"? I don't think either of those areas are going to help the A9 a great deal though, we'll probably have a handful of gearheads who will buy it and endlessly post on the net but I don't see pro's or high end users generally buying it  for the size or just because its "new".

When your looking at performance as well I think this is a market where its much harder to sell on headline specs than say the resolution of the A7r II or the ISO numbers of the A7s. High FPS is well and good but really is only going to be as good as AF tracking for most users and in this respect the A9 is going to need to be a massive real advancement, not just listing AF points.

As I'm sure was mentioned in the other thread lens support is also a new issue as indeed is lens size, does anybody really want a very small sports camera? I mean Canon and Nikon could most likely make there flagship bodies much smaller than they do if there was strong demand for it.

Most simply as well your talking users who are much more linked into a single system as well with a much larger investment in glass, these people need a very good reason to switch, they won't do so due to the "gadget lust" Sony typically depends on.

Sony a9 Sony Alpha 7R II Sony Alpha 7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow