Chasing Sea Eagles - Some Landscape Images from KI

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 5,163
Chasing Sea Eagles - Some Landscape Images from KI

Hi,

I posted a few images from Kangaroo Island in South Australia several months ago, but couldn't wait to return.   We'd seen from afar what might have been a sign of a sea eagle's roost or nest  - white streaks down the wall of a sea cave - and decided to hike out there off track to check it out.  The Easter holiday gave us the opportunity.

The island's Flinders Chase National Park is well known, but relatively few people hike far off track.  West Cape is quite a remote area.  All the attractive features are coastal and there's impenetrable vegetation anywhere back from the sea.  Much of the shoreline is cliffs, but there are some beautiful beaches you can often have to yourself.  It's dry, water-less, and hard and stony underfoot.  But a most rewarding destination.

I took my trio of 16, 23 and 60 in a waterproof over-the-shoulder hard case, a 55-200 and an adapted FD300/4L in my backpack.  Here are a few images from our walk.  Hope you find them interesting.  I'll post a few wildlife images in another thread.  Sorry, no sea eagles.  We did see an Osprey but he was gone before I could even contemplate a BIF.  The streaks turned out to be limestone deposits that had formed on the dark lower level rocks of the cave wall when water permeated down from the limestone cap above.  C'est la vie - it was an interesting day....

Regards, Rod

West Cape and Paisley Islet.  The islet itself is out of bounds - there are seal and tern colonies that breed there.

The view south from West Cape - you can just see the distant sea caves  where white streaks on the walls suggested a possible  sea eagle roost.

The red ground cover is dysphema - a salt tolerant succulent.   I felt guilty treading on it.....

These are the particular sea caves that attracted our attention in January.  You can see the white streaks on the walls.  Shot here with a 300mm lens.  They're about two kilometers away.

The vegetation is so dense that walking inland is difficult.  Along the cliff tops the soil depth is very shallow and the scrub is blasted by the Southern Ocean winds.  So its thinner, naturally dwarfed and much of it is blown prostrate like this one.  The cliff tops are the only viable way to get anywhere.

The cliffs are forbidding and have been the site of many a shipwreck.

One of the sea cave entrances.  Unfortunately the white streaks turned out to be limestone deposits rather than any sign of raptors.

Sorry, the inevitable wave-crashing-into-cliff shot to finish up.  Unfortunately haze had covered the sun and the light had gone a bit flat.  These are 50m cliffs - the weather was calm but the swells were still huge.

Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G1 X Olympus Tough TG-4 Fujifilm X-T1 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II +11 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow