New D600 owner - looking for lenses

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Flat view
patriot07 Contributing Member • Posts: 608
New D600 owner - looking for lenses

Previously owned Nikon D7100 with 18-140, 35/1.8, 50/1.8G, 55-300.

Bought a D600 cheap on craigslist just to try out FF and I'm pleasantly surprised at the IQ improvements, so I think I'm going to keep it.  I can use my 50/1.8G, but the rest of my lenses are DX and need to be replaced.  My D600 came with an 80-200 f2.8D, but the only reason I was able to buy the camera/lens is because I told my wife I was getting a great deal and would sell the lens.  It doesn't really fit my style that well since I carry the camera a lot and it's a big/heavy lens with no VR.  But it does take great, sharp pictures.

My pictures (in order of most to least important to me) are candid family shots & kid/wife portraits, travel/landscape, and soccer/sports.

My thoughts are to pick up an 85/1.8G for portrait type shots and use my 50 for the candid shots.  I am torn on a landscape lens and a telephoto.  Budget is somewhat tight, and I can be a pixel peeper so I'd like lenses as sharp as I can get for the $.  I always lean favor Nikon (not third party) when possible, but I'm open to whatever is the best value.

For telephoto, I'm considering the Nikon or Tamron 70-300 VR, keeping the 80-200 f2.8D and just crop for more reach, just using my DX 55-300 in DX mode, or....???

For landscape, I've considered every lens under the sun it seems like, but can't find a prime with outstanding performance or a zoom with really good performance for any sort of reasonable price.

Any guidance?

patriot07's gear list:patriot07's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
Nikon D600 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow