New D600 owner - looking for lenses

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
patriot07 Contributing Member • Posts: 577
New D600 owner - looking for lenses

Previously owned Nikon D7100 with 18-140, 35/1.8, 50/1.8G, 55-300.

Bought a D600 cheap on craigslist just to try out FF and I'm pleasantly surprised at the IQ improvements, so I think I'm going to keep it.  I can use my 50/1.8G, but the rest of my lenses are DX and need to be replaced.  My D600 came with an 80-200 f2.8D, but the only reason I was able to buy the camera/lens is because I told my wife I was getting a great deal and would sell the lens.  It doesn't really fit my style that well since I carry the camera a lot and it's a big/heavy lens with no VR.  But it does take great, sharp pictures.

My pictures (in order of most to least important to me) are candid family shots & kid/wife portraits, travel/landscape, and soccer/sports.

My thoughts are to pick up an 85/1.8G for portrait type shots and use my 50 for the candid shots.  I am torn on a landscape lens and a telephoto.  Budget is somewhat tight, and I can be a pixel peeper so I'd like lenses as sharp as I can get for the $.  I always lean favor Nikon (not third party) when possible, but I'm open to whatever is the best value.

For telephoto, I'm considering the Nikon or Tamron 70-300 VR, keeping the 80-200 f2.8D and just crop for more reach, just using my DX 55-300 in DX mode, or....???

For landscape, I've considered every lens under the sun it seems like, but can't find a prime with outstanding performance or a zoom with really good performance for any sort of reasonable price.

Any guidance?

patriot07's gear list:patriot07's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR
Nikon D600 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow