pick (wide) lens for studio setup (whiteboard)

Started 5 days ago | Questions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MateHR New Member • Posts: 3
pick (wide) lens for studio setup (whiteboard)

Hi! Newbie here. Have not had a DSLR before.

I am getting serious about making educational video for my students and general public. I set my talent in front of the whiteboard where I write. Right now I am shooting with Samsung Note 4 in 4K. I need 4K in order to crop in on something I write on the whiteboard and still get decent resolution. My studio room is 3x2.5m. I have 2 settings: most of the time 2m wide scene, sometimes 3m wide. The camera is tripod fixed at a distance from the scene which is limited to 2.5 meters (wall).

I am about to buy a used Panasonic GH4 body which I intend to use further on. Which lens would best suit my setup? I would like to step up my video quality .

As far as I understand (correct me if I am wrong) the appropriate focal lenght which I need is around 12mm. I would like to have the whiteboard together with the talent (myself) in focus all the time. The talent is usually 1/2 meter in front of the whiteboard, 1m max. I would like to use manual focus such that the distance in focus is from 1.2m to 2.2m from the camera sensor, but not sure is that possible.

I have a 1000W equivalent lights in room and I could up that if necessary. I intend to hdmi connect to the computer to capture the video footage there, hope it would work with my Blackmagic Intensity Pro 4K. What do you think?

In certain situations I shoot video in front of the green screen. I do rarely shoot the talent outside at the similar distances as mentioned, but 4K is not important for me in these situations. That means I can use digital zoom in post for outside video.

I am contemplating F1.4 12mm Panasonic prime lens, but is this an overkill? This could be my only lens, as I have no interest in photography or filming something else (I am content with my smartphone).

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow