Supertele Options: Your input appreciated...if you are of the mind.

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jbear Contributing Member • Posts: 652
Supertele Options: Your input appreciated...if you are of the mind.

Okay first some background. I have experience...I have used many lenses of all types over a long period of time. Saying this to save anyone from explaining the virtues of a great tripod/head or the compromises of tc's. I got all that.
Here's the shot...Now-D500 and D750 (occasional D7200), and down the road...? Higher res if anything, but let's deal with now. I am shooting a 200-500 and it is spectacular. Don't know if I got lucky or they are all this good, but.. It's my kayak lens and having racked up considerable shooting time, I can handhold it at some pretty crazy low shutter speeds even with the 14e (which gives better images than I think I should be expecting). So...happy me, but still...f5.6 is a bit slow (even though I appreciate the constant f).
What I am looking for is to replace a 300 f2.8 AF-I that I no longer have. That lens was stellar even with the 17e and wide open. I am considering getting an AF-S (I or II) and doing the 300 + tc thing again, but...I've been toying with idea of giving the Sigma 500 HSM f4.5 (or DG...yes...this is the older lens...not Sigma's newest f4) a whirl.
I know what to expect with the Nikkor without research...exceptional IQ et al., but older Sigmas are hit or miss. In my experience they range between decent and exceptional. I had a 300 HSM that was not impressive at all. I read that Lens Rentals finds the DG version of the 300 to be great.
It is really difficult to find someone who has shot one of these Sigma 500's on a high-res body. That's who I am looking for. At this price point, I'd rather not roll the bones. Even better would be that you've tried it with the Sigma 1.4 tc. Better still...you've also shot Nikkor's 300 2.8's.
So...it's a long shot and I've posted in a few forums. Maybe here lies the answers?
Thanks in advance all!

jbear's gear list:jbear's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D750 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 +28 more
Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon D750
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow