Fun little Mini Oly Point and Shoot!

Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
Humansvillian
Humansvillian Contributing Member • Posts: 840
Fun little Mini Oly Point and Shoot!

Just for the Olympus MFT addict, is the TG-830, available at bargain prices as a used camera.  I paid $100 cash for mine at a pawn shop, swayed by all the charms of this perfect little jewel of an Olympus "tough camera".  I suspect these sell for substantially less, by folks who aren't camera wise, like the pawn shop owner was.

Now, for those that want an OMD M10 II in a waterproof package, keep on moving.  This isn't your camera.

The TG_30 was Oly's middle line "tough camera" in 2013.  It doesn't have a fast lens, doesn't have Wifi, but it is a genuine Olympus tough camera, it's not a toy, it takes wonderful, sharp photos in the daylight with full blown Olympus colors, uses a real Oly data cable, is still supported by Olympus for updates, and for what it is, it's as cool as one of these little shirt pocket point and shoot tough cameras are going to ever be,,,,unless you bought the higher end one from Oly with a faster lens and more gee gaws.

It has a bunch of the Oly "Art Filters", including Dramatic Tone.

There' s also Pop Art

And it does straight photographs, too, like this one in the store where I bought it.

As far as I can tell, Oly knows that their processing engine is far smarter than needed for this little camera, so it does all the shutter speed and aperture setting for you.  There is a historigram, and if you insist there's an ISO settings  in the shooting menus.  No RAW.  This is a fun little Oly point and shoot, to stick in the bag with the Oly MFT cameras.

This little camera takes sharp pictures.  It must be "smart" because I shot a lot of photos out of the car window on the way home, and it knew to up the shutter speed and stop the worst of the blur.  There's scene menus galore, lots of those art filters, mine actually has great video, no sounds or hammering, and for what it is, it's a corking good little point and shoot.

There's a built in electronic compass, that works, and the coolest execution of GPS I've seen on a camera, yet.  It can be set to tell you the city you are in, nearby landmarks, and it keeps the clock synced with the GPS time.  You can even bring up a screen to see where you are, in the world.

These are supposed to be fully waterproof down to 33 feet, which is about 30 feet deeper than I'll ever dive on purpose.  There' s a double lock for both hatches on the camera, and glory be, it charges from a cigarette lighter or USB port in a computer or on a wall.

These were expensive, when new, and are still a fun addition to any Oly lover's camera bag.

I'm going to look for one of the higher end models with a faster lens, but this one scratches the itch for a beater point and shoot to always have handy, in case you need a camera.

-- hide signature --

Humansville is a town in the Missouri Ozarks

Humansvillian's gear list:Humansvillian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Canon PowerShot ELPH 330 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX30V Canon PowerShot SX160 IS Nikon Coolpix S01 +26 more
Olympus TG-830 iHS
16 megapixels • 3 screen • 28 – 140 mm (5×)
Announced: Jan 8, 2013
Humansvillian's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
okay
Action / sports
okay
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
okay
Flash photography (social)
good
Studio / still life
okay
= community average
Leica M10 Olympus TG-830 iHS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow