Further advice on focussing with the 100-400, please!

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Michael J Davis
Michael J Davis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,340
Further advice on focussing with the 100-400, please!

Went birding yesterday (as I was in the East Midlands visiting my son) around the Sherwood Forest and Budby South Forest. Nothing special but lots of courting and nest building!

However I was using my 100-400 with the GX80. At first I used the spot (smallest) focus area but was disappointed by the extent of the hunting that went on when trying to focus through the trees. (Many shots around the 5m distance - so I had to have the full range focus set.)

I then tried to use a slightly larger focus area, but found that the multipoint focussing picked up the leaves that I was trying to miss. i.e. quicker focussing, but on the wrong point.

I'd set the back button to pre-focus, and having got that half pressed the shutter to maintain it, releasing and refocussings as the birds moved through/ round the trees.

Very frustrating!  Here's a couple that were on (significant crops from the full frame.)

Tree creeper

Chiffchaff

Any advice on improving technique is welcome. (And yes, I have read most of the threads on this subject - but I'm not too proud to admit that I need to learn!)

Thanks

Mike

-- hide signature --

Mike Davis
Photographing the public for over 60 years
www.flickr.com/photos/watchman

Michael J Davis's gear list:Michael J Davis's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow