Sony RX10 iii (RX10M3) battery rapid discharge/drain

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
kcrossen Junior Member • Posts: 33
Sony RX10 iii (RX10M3) battery rapid discharge/drain

I've seen a few postings here about batteries (NP-FW50) discharging or draining too fast in the RX10M3. Most of these posts seem to be blaming the battery, in many cases "3rd party" batteries, but my experiments suggest that "3rd party" batteries are not to blame.

I am getting the same problem with my RX10M3, but with two "official" Sony NP-FW50 batteries, the one that came packed with the camera and a Sony NP-FW50 spare I purchased, all from Amazon. I decided to experiment, and the results were similar for both batteries.

Starting from a fully charged battery, shoot until the battery indicator reads 96%, turn the camera off in shot mode. Put camera on shelf overnight (8 hours) and the next morning the battery indicator reads 78% when the camera is turned back on. Now shoot some images and turn the camera off, but immediately release the battery, wait a few seconds, reseat the battery, and put the camera on shelf for 8 hours. When the camera is turned on again after 8 hours (and momentary disconnect of the battery), the battery indicator still reads 78%. These two patterns, with and without battery release, can be repeated any number of times with results similar to those above.

Although it's conceivable that either both batteries are defective or that my particular RX10M3 is defective, the most likely culprit is a firmware bug that prevents all internal camera circuits from shutting down. I've already sent the camera back to Sony for warranty repair, but when the camera returned, it behaved exactly the same.

Sony RX10 III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow