Water damage help

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sunshadow Forum Member • Posts: 61
Water damage help

I had my GF6 in the pocket of my waterproof rain jacket. I tripped on some steps that had puddles of muddy water on them and got a little wet.  About 30 mins later when I went to put my camera away I realized it was soaking in muddy water that had gotten inside my jacket pocket (because it was open when I tripped) because the jacket is waterproof it also means the water that got into the pocket didn't drain out.  I immediately took the battery and SD card out of the camera.  I let it sit overnight and it wouldn't turn on.  I let it sit for 3 days and it still wouldn't turn on.  Now it's 1 week later and hurray, it turned on!

But now all the photos are over-exposing.  I tried the lens that was attached during the water incident and another lens.  Same problem.  Even if I put it on manual and lower the aperture and up the shutter speed to extremely underexpose it, it doesn't matter.  It's always over exposed when I take a shot.

However when it's in video mode, it works fine.  So I'm thinking something that tells the shutter to open and close might not be working.  I'm not sure.

Does anybody have any idea what could be wrong?  Some contacts maybe need to be cleaned?  Is my camera just screwed?  Any advise is appreciated.  I wasn't planning to buy a new camera body any time soon so if I can save this one, I'd much prefer to do so.

In the meantime I decided to put it in rice (even though it's a week later, maybe there is still some moisture) and let it sit for a while longer to see what happens.

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow