Help wean me off Windows.

Started 1 week ago | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AnthonyL Senior Member • Posts: 2,291
Help wean me off Windows.

It is time for me to move off of my trusted but ageing Lenovo laptop with Windows XP, and to move from my beloved but outdated Office Outlook 2002 with its excellent sync to my HP514 Windows CE phone.

In preparation I have a 64bit Win7 i7 laptop with a 320Gb drive, and I've just ordered a 1Gb internal drive and a drive caddy (USB 3.0).

I intend this to be my last Windows system and want to be prepared for alternatives, and I want to minimise or have zero data in the cloud.

My thoughts are:

Dual boot (Windows + some incarnation of Linux)

and/or

VMWare

Almost certainly I have to go for an Android phone and am having reasonable success with Essential PIM to replace Office Outlook other than I cannot find a migration path.

I do have a couple of spare Win7 unactivated (and untested) licences.

I have legacy DOS and Windows applications that I would like to keep going and I'm a pensioner so I have the time to play if not the up-to-date skills. Naturally I need to cater for my photography interests.

My aim is that by the time Win 7 is unsupported I will be off of Microsoft products (I know, someone is going to say Apple, my most hated companies at the moment are Microsoft, Apple, Google and Uber).

Ideas and thoughts on how best to proceed please.

AnthonyL's gear list:AnthonyL's gear list
Canon EOS 450D Canon EOS 700D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM +2 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow