Seriously considering switching to X-T2

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Alexis D Regular Member • Posts: 467
Seriously considering switching to X-T2

Hi, I appreciate your comments regarding this. I like to shoot mainly landscape, nature, occasional portraits, and travel photos and sometimes street with my E-M5. I don't care about video, birds, wild life or still life, macro, sports or anything requiring very long lenses or fast actions/reactions. I am slow and I take time preparing each shot (film habits). I don't need fast tracking. I just zone focus in those rare instances when I have to take that kind of photos. I will make A2 prints when I got lucky and had a good pic. I have the 12-40mm, 25mm f/1.8, 45mm, 75mm, a Sigma 60mm, plus a couple of kit lenses which are only used if I have to take video or longer travel shots (the 12-50mm and 40-150mm). I feel neglected by Olympus, after buying into its system 4 years ago, and I can't wait any longer for a reasonably priced camera with sufficient improvement in IQ. The only camera that seems OK as an upgrade is the E-M1 II, but I feel I am paying for unwanted features and not that much in IQ improvement (DR and noise). At this time, the X-T2 is $400 less than the E-M1 II, which makes it very tempting.

The X-T2 has higher resolution, better IQ, a JPEG that is as good as Olympus', and Fuji has some very nice primes and zooms in the wide to portrait range that I use, including a nice WR prime in the all important 35mm EFL. The X-T2 also does not have the annoying side flipping FAS, but a clever "articulated" screen that stays behind the camera. The lenses will be bigger but that is a price that I will have to live with and willing to pay. The biggest reservation seems to be the lack of IBIS, which is however not all that critical given the FL range I use. I wish IBIS will one day appear in Fuji cameras in future. Cropping slightly, for example, should solve any problem with a mount that is too tight, or better still, cropping to 4:3 to regain a little of the image area lost through cropping. Or maybe keeping the 3:2 ratio and sacrificing the extreme corners (not stablilised or improved by IBIS). Another concern is the waxy skin, but I understand that is mainly a problem with high ISO, and not what I would use for portraits.

Switching will be expensive but I have lost hope in Olympus providing what I need. It will most likely be 2018 before the E-M5 III will be available, and given what happened in the past years, I do not expect it to have many significantly upgraded features for my requirements. Olympus seems always want to let the flagship get the best, especially the best sensor. So, I do not expect a BSI or whatever latest-tech sensor in the E-M5 III. Besides the sensor, Olympus has consistently, along with Panasonic, failed to release any pro quality wide or ultra wide primes, which is very frustrating. (Fuji already has the 14mm, 18mm, 23mm and 28mm.) While there are rumours of a new Olympus f/1.2 prime soon, and it is possibly a wide one, it is most likely too expensive, giving Olympus' latest pricing trend, and unlikely to be a very wide lens. Fuji lenses are not cheap either but appear to be more affordable.

Yes, I considered the PEN-F, but I prefer SLR shaped cameras because I am left eye dominant and I don't like its FAS. The GX8 also has the wrong shape and in addition not as nice JPEG colours. I am also used to holding and balancing an SLR shaped camera. I don't care for the Sony cameras even though they have the best sensor quality (ergonomics, colours, price of quality lenses).

Sorry for the long post, but I have been over this again and again for so long. Are there matters that I have not considered? Thanks.

Fujifilm X-T2 Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow