D500 wildlife filmmaking - focussing?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jambalawa Contributing Member • Posts: 790
D500 wildlife filmmaking - focussing?

Hi after buying a drone and shooting a bit of video with it I'm getting more into video again. When i was at my favourite waterbird spot yesterday to shoot stills I took a bit of video and enjoyed it and was quite happy with some of the results (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53hxYNZ3w6g)

I do need a bit of practice though - some clips were overexposed and i relied on autofocus that didn't work that well in video it seems.   The VR worked well - it was all hand held but resting on the window sill of my car shooting out the window.

So yeah my question is about focussing...     i was pretty good with manual focus back in the day with a Hi8 video camera filming motorcross etc..  but I was a bit younger then with better eyesight etc

I'm thinking perhaps I need an external monitor on the D500 to assist with manual focus?   If this is a good idea I do have an ipad mini 4 that i'm wondering would be good to use with a hotshoe mount..    would this and snapbridge be a solution?   Or a HDMI adaptor for the ipad mini somehow?

I would love to be able to use the viewfinder to focus but as I understand the mirror has to be up for videoing.

Any advice much appreciated.

jambalawa's gear list:jambalawa's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D500 Panasonic GH5 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF +6 more
Nikon D500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow